Sunday 15 June 2014

Hipster

I kind of understand them. Hipsters, I mean. There's something in knowing that you didn't jump on a band wagon. In knowing that this one thing that everyone loves, you loved because you loved it, not because you're trying to fit in and agree with the society that surrounds you. In knowing that when you loved it, it was yours. Maybe not your own creation, your idea, your brain baby, but hell, you had a bigger part of it than you do now.
It feels like you're sharing an inside joke with yourself. You know that knowing little smile you give your friend when someone else mentions something that reminds you of an inside joke you have with them? Well, it's like a little joke with yourself, a little mental nod when someone mentions an event that reminds you of your favorite book, of a quote of your favorite movie.
It's like a "Hey, I'm culturally advised enough to know about this, and no one else does." Call me condescendant, but I love the feeling when the whole world explodes with obsession over something, I can smile dans mon fort interieur and know that I've known for way longer than them that this thing in particular was cool.

But stop waving your stupid starbucks frappucinos and your lens-less glasses in my face. You're not a unique snowflake, stop acting like you are when really, you're just like every other self-entitled idiot in the world.

Also, I read the Fault in our Stars the actual year it came out, so stop telling me how awesome it is, I know.

No comments: